This week’s Monday Meme is brought to you again by Mr. Draxtor Despres. He was having a conversation on twitter with a friend who stated that Second Life pushed him into learning 3D modelling. Draxtor then tagged me and suggested this as a meme, “things Second Life has made people do (or learn)” and since I myself have learned quite a few things because of SL, I figured this should definitely be my next Monday Meme!
Meme instructions: Share things that you have learned because of your involvement in Second Life, either personally or professionally. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so others can come by and read your answers as well!
There’s a double handful of things I’ve learned in SL:
- Script use to make prims do clever things, even though I do not understand scripts and am not tech savvy
- airship design to sell steampunk flyers, how to run that business, and why it does not work, and be OK with that
- creation of seamless textures
- creation of skins for SL avatars (OMG, skins are so very hard to do well)
- creation of clothing and tattoos for SL avatars (slightly easier to do)
- how to be social at parties, and then also keep the friends you make
- how to be romantic
- how to shake off RL stress in a virtual place
- how to get Avatars from all over the world/grid to add their energy to a Relay For Life community build project, from a sketch and notes and chat text
- how to stay awake 24 hours for a virtual run around the Relay For Life event (notable efforts for several years)
- how to take better pictures, even approaching exciting images that make me happy
- how to give my time to others, when they ask with grace, and how to say ‘no’ (when needed) with grace
- how much fun manners can be